Who this course is for?
Confident sewists who have sewn a number of garments using commercial patterns.
What will I be able to do by the end of this course?
- Measure yourself correctly to select the best size pattern.
- Tissue-fit pattern to assess for potential fit issues.
- Identify and recognise your personal body characteristics and understand how these affect and effect fit (of the trouser).
- Recognise how 2 dimensional alterations (on paper) affect and effect 3 dimensional shape (the garment).
- Make fit adjustments on a toile and transfer these to your pattern.
- Make the pattern alterations relevant to personal fit issues, which can include, but are not limited to:
- Short or long nape to waist; long or short rise
- Flat or sway backs
- Flat or curvy bottoms
- Narrow or flared hips
- Full tummy
- Have the confidence to make pattern alterations to other commercial pattern styles.
- Be able to ‘read’ a sewing pattern.
What materials will I need for the course?
Patterns, paper and calico will all be provided.
Though available in class, it is recommended you bring your own long pins, tape measure, fabric scissors, HB and 2H pencils plus coloured pens/pencils.
Please wear your ‘normal’ underwear (i.e. not control wear) to enable accurate fitting.
Optional: bring along a pair of trousers you have made (and its pattern) that you have been disappointed with in terms of fit. Depending on time, we may be able to discuss specific pattern alterations.